Monday, August 29, 2011

Aquaponics Makeover

Time for an update and major makeover of the aquaponics system.
I must say I am very happy with the results from my first year of a small aquaponics system.
The production has been consistent and maintenance basic, no major problems and as far as investment no more expensive than buying pots /soil and fertilizer for my balcony garden.
I do wish I could have located some perch to place in the tank as I would be eating them about now! maybe Ill try and get some this season. but the goldfish have got massive, there's one black one that I call the shark its so big.

Anyway time for a  clear out, one problem i have created by over planting to many big root plants like the bell pepper (capsicum) tomatoes, celery is the roots have clogged up the system to the point that the flush cycle has failed, so now armed with a bucket and kitchen colander i will remove all the plants then the stones, clean and replace and retest flush cycle.

Then its time for some new plants for the summer season
I think I will will go for 1 in each container of Cherry Tomato, Parsley, Coriander (cilantro), Zucchini, Lettuce.

A big thanks to my fellow Urban Survivalist Dan over at The Urbivalist, who kicked my butt for not keeping more regular with updates. Check out his great blog for some great daily survival tips and info.
A clogged up system

all washed and ready to go again

1 comment: